Ayuda en Acción
Ayuda en Acción is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Head of mission in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
About Ayuda en Acción
We are a non-partisan and non-denominational NGO that fights against poverty and inequality.. We are committed to human rights and the dignity of people, independence, transparency through accountability and collective effort as the main values that drive our work in the organization as well as the Ayuda en Acción is an international organization that fights the causes and consequences of poverty and inequality around the world. We generate opportunities so that young people can build a better future.
We have more than 40 years of history and, thanks to the collaboration of our partners; we now work in 19 countries in Latin America, Africa and Asia, supporting more than 2 million people. Ayuda en Acción has had a presence in Africa since 1984 in Mozambique, Ethiopia, Uganda, Mali and Niger.
Ayuda en Acción has been present in Ethiopia for 21 years, working through local partners between 2002 and 2017; an independent country programme was established in 2018 as Ayuda en Acción Ethiopia. The national office is based in Addis Ababa coordinating four area offices (Asala, Wolaita Sodo, Yabello and Semara) and 16 satellite offices covering 16 districts in three regions. We currently employ 35 full-time staff members and cooperate with five long-term implementation partners. Ayuda en Acción Ethiopia, as part of the aforementioned institutional strategy, manages a range of projects within three programme priorities: sustainable livelihoods and resilient food systems; inclusive education; and emergency response and resilience building. Institutional donors fund approximately half of the country portfolio. Ayuda en Acción Ethiopia is a member of Alliance 2015.
- Ayuda en Acción Ethiopia is seeking experienced candidates for the position of Head of Mission for its Country Office in Addis Abeba, Ethiopia. The priority areas of activities are as follows: Economic Development: Sustainable Livelihoods and Resilient Food Systems, Quality and Inclusive Education and Emergency Response and Resilience Building
- The Head of Mission is member of the Senior Management Team in the Ethiopia Country Program, being directly accountable to Headquarters in Madrid, Spain. The Head of Mission will report to the Regional Director for Africa region, based at AeA HQ. The jobholder will liaise with others within the AeA on matters such as HR, finance, logistics, etc. when a technical backstopping is required. Moreover, it is required team leadership in a coordinated manner strengthening in country office capacities, empowering the staff, working majoring and directly with the Country Representative, the Head of Programs and the Head of Finance.
General tasks with regard to the AeA position in the Region:
- Represent AeA in Ethiopia in accordance with the principles, mission statement and strategy of AeA.
- Strengthen the partnership between AeA and different stakeholders, based on the AeA Strategy for better positioning of the organization at country and regional levels.
- Take the lead and responsible for the annual update of AeA country vision in an innovative manner, the development of the Country Strategy and the implementation of its associated benchmarks, engagement planning and to support the development of annual country/regional work plan.
Specific tasks with regard to the AeA position in the country:
- Define together with the Country Representative, Head of Programs, in coordination with the HQ in Madrid and other parties, the AeA Strategy for the consolidation or enhancement of the program.
- Identify opportunities to enhance the institutional visibility, strategic alliances and funding opportunities related to the Country Program.
- Ensure the participation of Ayuda en Acción Ethiopia in spaces for coordinating actions with regional initiatives and multi stakeholders on rural development, resilience and food security.
- Manage relationships in country with all relevant stakeholders, such as other NGO’s, Knowledge Institutes, Embassies, ECHO/EU offices, local authorities etc., attending to task force and/or working group meetings as per relevant sector.
- Facilitate sharing and learning across other international and national organizations working in Ethiopia and/or other African countries.
- Work with the Country Representative and other AeA team members in cultivating strategic partnerships or relationships with new/existing donors to further strategic development opportunities.
- Represent Ayuda en Acción Ethiopia at Alliance2015 meetings in the country and in the region.
Specific tasks with regard to the consolidation and strengthening of the Country Program:
- Ensure the application of the policies and the general strategy of Ayuda en Acción in the National Office, in accordance with the HQ in Spain.
- Ensure and support the AeA team in developing innovative project proposals, based on the meaningful participation of the local partners, community and other relevant stakeholders to consolidate and expand the AeA Country Program.
- Take part in the AeA regional meeting to make good use of relevant experiences and expertise from Ethiopia and vice versa.
- Coordinate current and future Ayuda en Acción Ethiopia projects with Spanish donors, especially with the Spanish Agency for Cooperation and Development (AECID) and decentralized cooperation.
- In coordination with the Country Representative, Head of Programs, Head of Finance and other relevant staff and local partners, lead the identification of new initiatives and opportunities that respond to identified needs of the country strategy.
- Support AeA team, field program staff and partner organizations on proposal development and design, including gathering information for concepts and proposals and serving as primary lead or coordinator of proposals and needs assessments.
Specific tasks with regard to the projects management:
- Management and technical support, to ensure high quality of the interventions aiming synergy and complementarity among projects and partners.
- Responsible for the open and effective communication between team members to ensure timely implementation of project activities and reporting to donors.
- Ensure that effective financial administrative systems governing the project activities are in place and are in line with AeA and donor requirements.
- Lead the in-country identification of new intervention possibilities within the framework of the AeA Country Program and Strategy, based on needs and support resource mobilization activities for new opportunities identified.
- Ensure adequate information flow regarding ongoing operations for both management and external communication.
Specific tasks with regard to security:
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by Ayuda en Acción institutional strategy, policy and Action Plan.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Maintain oversight of the larger context and humanitarian developments in Ethiopia, and ensure AeA HQ is able to concisely remain informed of the pressing humanitarian issues and challenges.
Knowledge and experience:
- BA/BSc degree in social science, management, international development or other relevant field. Specialty in Economics or Agronomy preferred. MA/S desired.
- Excellent English communication skills. Spanish is desirable, but not compulsory.
- Postgraduate studies in planning and project development in Local Development and/or Economic and/or Development Cooperation.
- Up to 5 years of senior-level leadership and management experience in large and complex programs.
- Experience in planning and technical and financial management of rural development and/or food security programs and management of international cooperation funds.
- Experience in managing/linking humanitarian relief, rehabilitation and long-term interventions and/or transitional programs in areas affected by conflict and insecurity.
- Prior experience with funding from international donors (EU-ECHO, EU-DEVCO) as well as from the Spanish Agency for Development Cooperation (AECID) and other leading agencies.
- Previous experience working in Africa is preferred and knowledge of the Ethiopian context: national legislation related to development actions, political, social, economic and environmental trends in the country.
- Proven record of accomplishments in proposal writing (both technical and financial) in terms of rural development, resilience and food security.
- Experience managing programs in relevant technical area(s) including Resilience, Food Security, Economic Recovery or Market Development, WASH, Cash programming, and/or Conflict/Governance.
- Strong understanding of gender, disability and social integration perspective would be desirable.
- Strong analytic skills and ability to develop solutions to complex issues required.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
English: C1 Advanced minimum.
Spanish: C1 Advanced minimum.
- Highly Valued:
French: (B1 Intermédiaire, B2 Intermédiaire avancé, C1 Supérieur, C2 Supérieur avancé)
Portugese: (B1 intermédio, B2 intermédio superior, C1 avançado, C2 profissional/nativo)
- Windows Advanced
Skills and competencies:
- Ability to maintain good working relationships, in an international and multicultural environment, while being able to work under pressure.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills-
- Incorporation: immediately.
- Duration of contract: Undefined
- Work Centre: Addis Abeba
- Remuneration/Salary in accordance with Ayuda en Acción’s remuneration policy.
In all selection processes we will take into account the criteria of NO discrimination based on sex, race, skin colour, religion, political ideas, social origin, sexual orientation, age, etc., providing a transparent and equal opportunity process for all candidates, as stated in our Code of Conduct. “Treating all people with respect and rejecting any kind of harassment, discrimination, intimidation, exploitation or any other action against Human Rights”.
At Ayuda en Acción we have zero tolerance for behaviour related to sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment, which is why, in accordance with our Child Protection Policy, we are committed to carrying out a series of checks prior to hiring by requesting information from previous employers through the Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (The Misconduct Disclosure Scheme misconduct-disclosure-scheme.org) no the event that said employers are members of this platform. Therefore, by submitting this application, the job applicant accepts and authorises these checks to be carried out in order to continue in the selection process.
In addition, it will be compulsory to present the “Negative Certification of the Central Registry of Sex Offenders” prior to the incorporation.