November 6, 2023
Post title: Food Security & Livelihood (FSL) Officer
Report to: Area Coordinator
Duty Station: Somali regional state, Jigjiga
Salary: As per the organizations scale
Duration One year with possible extension based on performance
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Jigjiga, Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, GG and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa, Awra and Gulina; Oromia regional State, West Harergeye, Chiro and Meayso Woredas and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us
The Food Security and Livelihood Officer Will play a crucial role in implementing the “Building Resilience and Adaptation to Climate Change in Somali region of Ethiopia (BRACC)” This project aims to reduce vulnerability to climate shocks among smallholder farmers, pastoralists, unemployed youth, and internally displaced Persons. The FSL Officer will work closely with the FSL team, WASH team project partners, and relevant stakeholders to ensure effective implementation of BRACC program’s livelihood component, including assessments, project planning, monitoring and evaluation, capacity building, and coordination.
· Ensure adherence with IRE policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines and ensure they are embedded-in throughout the project activities.
· Facilitate the technical, vocational and entrepreneurship skill development trainings and related activities. This will include identification and verification of project participants, conducting assessments, and vocational trainings, and related trainings.
· Establish and support women and men entrepreneurs to improve their skills to earn decent incomes for themselves and their families.
· Develop and implement effective strategies for identifying and selecting eligible beneficiaries.
· Conduct assessments and surveys to determine the needs and vulnerabilities of targeted households.
· Ensure that the selection criteria are fair, transparent, and in line with project objectives.
· Develops strategies that would increase the organizational and institutional capacity of the local community together with its staff
· Provides technical assistance to establish the livelihood resilience of the pastoralist communities in the targeted Gursum and Harawo areas
· Compiles and regularly updates the livelihoods data-base at the field office, ensure the filing systems are secured, maintained and up to date
· In collaboration with project staff prepares an annual action and budget plan for the project livelihood sector and ensure that all payments are made as per the rules and regulations of the donor/organization
· Ensures that the activities are carried out in compliance with the Logical Framework and the indicators.
· Works with WASH expert on development of successful irrigation scheme development that help to support the fodder production
· Provides support and training, coaching and skills development for the project and technical team in-line with innovative components of the project as related to the livelihood components of the programme
· In collaboration with other project staff develops clear monitoring and evaluation plan and tools
· Conducts situation assessment on pastoralist economic conditions and comes with clear recommendation
· Prepares and submits consolidated weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly plan report in line with monitoring tool
· In close coordination with field office livelihood officers and program manager, consult key stakeholders and identify opportunities/ gaps in the area of agriculture (crop and livestock) livelihoods at the woreda level and initiate preparatory and entry level activities for developing agriculture and other livelihoods programme. This would include mapping of community needs and priorities on agriculture and other livelihoods programme and contributing to the development of participatory village level plans, working closely with food security and livelihood staff.
· Ensure active community participation in the implementation of agriculture and other livelihoods programme interventions, including development of norms for community contribution and responsibility sharing.
· Ensure active participation of women and disadvantage groups in planning, implementation of livelihoods activities, and access to
· Develops strategies that would increase the organizational and institutional capacity of the local community together with its subordinates.
· Lead field level assessments, such as baseline surveys and others during the course of the project implementation for developing and/or testing of programme approaches or interventions.
· Engage in regional level cluster meetings with all relevant stakeholders.
· Prepares and submits various project plans and reports required by Country Office, the Regional Government, the donor and other stakeholders.
· Performs any other related duties of a permanent or temporary nature that may be assigned to him/her from time to time by the Project Manager, Area Coordinator, HO budget holder of the project.
· University degree (BA/BSc) Livelihood and Food Security, Agriculture, Livestock, Agricultural Economics, Development Studies, Rural Development, or other related subjects.
· A minimum five years project management working experience in an INGO working environment with at least 3 years’ relevant work experience in urban livelihood mainly in the field of vocational training, income generation and community mobilization.
- Good demonstrating ability to interact on professional level with staff, donors or government officials,
- Working experience in Somali Regional State and fluency in the local language Somali is mandatory
- Good experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead and motivate others,
- Good interpersonal and communication (written and spoken English) and presentation skills; knowledge of operational area is preferable,
- Experience in capacity building of staff and partners,
- Well organized, analytical and able to prioritize multiple tasks,
- Excellent IT skills, MS Office applications,
- Sympathy with Islamic Relief values.
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero-tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behaviour expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is November 20, 2023.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.
· Female candidates are highly encouraged
Disclaimers: The Islamic relief does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process thus during application, interviews processes, offer and contract.