Islamic Relief is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior WASH Officer in Jigjiga, Somali , Ethiopia
- Job Title: Senior WASH Officer
- Job by Islamic Relief
- Duty Station: Somali Regional State, Jigjiga
- Reports to: Area Coordinator
- Salary: As per the organizations scale
- Required: One
- Duration: One year with possible extension
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Jigjiga, Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, GG and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa, Awra and Gulina; Oromia regional State, West Harergeye, Chiro and Meayso Woredas and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us
We are looking for talented people to join us in making a difference to the lives of millions. We want people with integrity, people who are fair, impartial, honest and truthful. If you think you embodied these values then this is the place for you and your career. We promote learning organization features.
The post holder will provide strategic WASH Sector guidance and leadership under supervision in regular consultation with the supervisor and implements durable water scheme development for human and Irrigation purpose at Somali Regional State, Fafan Zone, Gursum, and Harawo woredas. Responsible for the technical contribution to the development, planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the adaptive WASH interventions to climate change to enhance the livelihood of Somali agro pastoral communities that are affected by recurrent drought.
He/she will lead the design, monitoring, and evaluation of Islamic Relief’s Waterworks supplies together with the sanitation and hygiene components. He/she will lead the overall WASH intervention in providing technical support in WASH thematic area to the field teams and represent Islamic Relief in the Regional National WASH forum and other related clusters. Central to his role will be building the capacity of field staff and relevant offices.
The senior WASH Officer will also be responsible for timely implementation of the planned activities, documentation of the project plans, outputs, outcomes and reporting as per the reporting schedule set by the project under close supervision of the Project Manager.
Major Duties and Responsibilities of the positon
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primary, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results. To improve the Water and Sanitation condition of the target beneficiaries, Senior WASH Officer will be primarily responsible to design, plan, implement, monitor and evaluate Islamic Relief’s WASH Project in coordination with Senior Project Officers, WASH Coordinator. He/she is ultimately responsible for getting projects are accomplished as per plan and conditions.
WASH Preparedness and Response
· Identifies formal and informal sources of information and collects, and reports all available data on the evolving situation in the sector and specifically on the climate change impact on water supply.
· Keeps the effective flow of information and communication crucial for the planning and implementation of measures in WASH sector.
· Assists in organizing, mentoring, and coaching project staff and partners to strengthen the capacity building in WASH preparedness and response in climate change adaptive manner.
· Provides input in and contributes toward determining priorities and an appropriate intervention by Islamic Relief and coordinates with other partners to make a WASH assessment and feasibility study with the lens of climate change adaptation.
· Collaborate with community groups, government, UN agencies, and other partners who are active in WASH intervention in the area like Zonal and Woreda administrations and water sector and Disaster Risk Management officials so as to establish a conducive working environment, promote transparency, ensure support of sector offices, increase stakeholder participation
· Ensure timely delivery of assistance and procurement of WASH supplies, and monitor the appropriate and effective use of Islamic Relief resources. Identifies problems and constraints in project delivery.
· Led detailed WASH technical assessments and feasibility studies, and prepared BoQs for different adaptation project activities.
· Share weekly WASH situation reports to concerned parties as required.
· Assists in identifying longer-term requirements of WASH intervention/operations.
· Regularly monitor WASH activities like construction hygiene and sanitation activities and coordinate with other sector interventions.
· Ensure that WASH activities including well drilling, construction of haffierdams, solar upgrading and ODF Campaigns and targets are achieved through regular monitoring and supervision;
· Participates in the implementation of plans of action for WASH project under his assignment.
· The development of detailed implementation plans, maintaining WASH rapid response capacity, and monitoring program delivery in line with Islamic Relief minimum standards for WASH according to standards, policies and procedures of the organization and donor
· Undertakes day-to-day field visits to target communities, to assess local conditions and monitor project progress. Carries out project administration. Prepares inputs and updates for further appeals related to Water scheme facility construction.
· Facilitate, organizing training and equipping water scheme operators and management committees
· Capacitate local community and government stakeholders on climate change and its adaptation strategies,
· Facilitate irrigation Canal and solar house construction with protection system
· Support IR project team to ensure active participation and involvement of Woreda water, office local government and community structures and beneficiaries in planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and evaluation of the project WASH activities.
· Collects and analyses lessons learnt from IR’s WASH operations experience.
· Works with other colleagues to make sure that disaster prevention, mitigation, preparedness and response strategies are mainstreamed.
· Actively play a role towards community empowerment through community mobilization strategies and approaches, design operational strategies for community participation as working committees, women group, youth group etc.
· Prepare project annual and quarterly action plans and budget, when approved implement to achieve intended objectives, outputs, activities and targets;
· Identify required WASH supplies, ensure quality of materials and prepare bill of quantities.
· Prepare and submit regular project reports to Senior Project officer.
· Will monitor WASH infrastructures construction and borehole drilling activities,
· Manage project staff performance and development under his/her supervision;
· Perform other functions as requested by program manager.
· University bachelor degree in Water Resources Management, hydraulics, Environmental or any other related discipline with hand on WASH experience and trainings with
· At least 3 years relevant work experience in the humanitarian set ups; preferably in the International NGOs.
Skills and Competences
· Demonstrated skills in design preparation, bill of quantities and specifications
· Proven skills in project planning, design, implementation, M&E;
· Demonstrated ability in proposal and report writing skills;
· Proven management and people coaching, mentoring and supervisory skills;
· Good communication skills, ability to convey complex information in a straightforward manner to target communities and staffs under his supervision.
· Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relations with multicultural and multi ethnic teams, including working with partner organizations
· Experience of training and capacity building and ability to carry out training needs analysis and develop capacity building, Mentoring and coaching skills
· Ability to work in hardship and longer hours and good skill of data collection
· Proven experience in networking, influencing and negotiation skills
· Strong commitment and sympathy to core Islamic Relief Values
· Knowledge of the government current systems and policy environment specifically at Woreda level;
· Willing to work in remote area, committed challenging work and value centered individual;
· Fluency oral and written communications in English. Local language (Somali) is mandatory.
· Demonstrated skills working in computer software, Spreadsheet etc.
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is November 20, 2023.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.
· Female candidates are highly encouraged
Disclaimers: The Islamic relief does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process thus during application, interviews processes, offer and contract.