Islamic Relief is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of MEAL and PSI Officerin Jigjiga, Somali , Ethiopia
- Job Title: MEAL and PSI Officer
- Job by Islamic Relief
- Report to: Area Coordinator
- Duty Station: Somali Regional State, Jigjiga
- Salary: As per the organizations scale
- Required: One (1)
- Duration: One year with possible extension
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Jigjiga, Hargelle, Elkere, Bare, GG and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa, Awra and Gulina; Oromia regional State, West Harergeye, Chiro and Meayso Woredas, Borena zone of Dire, Dubluk, Elewaye and Yabello woredas and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us
The MEAL and PSI Officer will perform both functions of protection Safeguarding and inclusion and MEAL activities and oversee project WASH and Food Security and Livelihoods. S/he supports the Project Officers/promoter and Community development workers in performance and quality management, undertake MEAL related activities of projects being implemented in Fafan zone and responsible for establishing and implementing an appropriate monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems at the program area, based on evidence of good practices and in line with Donor requirements to help ensure the successful delivery and attainment of project goals and objectives. S/he ensures that strong MEAL system is in place so that the implementation of the project is of high quality and accountable to beneficiaries, partners and donors. S/he further works towards achieving “Leave no one behind” and “Do no harm” agendas, to be integrated into the “Building Resilience and Adaptation to Climate Change in Somali region of Ethiopia (BRACC)” in Fafan zone, ensures commitments towards Core Humanitarian Standards and inclusion Charter. The candidate must have the ability to build strong partnerships with key stakeholders to meet objectives and implementing IRE‘s protection, inclusion and safeguarding interventions.
Key working Relationship
· Work Closely with Project manager, Area Coordinator, PDQA and other project team.
· Attend relevant woreda & community meetings as required and provide feedbacks if relevant.
· Work closely with the country office focal points (Safeguarding -PSEA, accountability, and gender and child protection focal points).
· Follow issues, communications and enquires coming from CO technical staff (PDQA manager, Senior PSI officer and MEAL coordinator) and focal persons (safeguarding (PSEA), Gender, Child Protection,) are addressed timely to ensure mainstreaming of inclusion and protection into IRE Fafan Office.
· Work closely with PDQA department and follow CHS commitments and accountability components are addressed in IR.
· Work with key stakeholders within Somali Region, Fafan zone to build their capacity on Gender, safeguarding, protection and inclusion, which includes child protection, prevention of GBV, inclusion of all ages and abilities and accountable systems.
· Together with the Project Officers, Community Development Workers, Sanitation and hygiene promoters and water technicians adopt sector specific M&E data management tools and provide training on the tools for project staffs and woreda experts.
· Lead in designing and conducting baseline surveys, mid-term evaluations, specialized studies and final evaluations to include sampling methodologies, data collection instruments, analysis and report development.in a timely manner and organize data received for reporting to the Project Manager/Area Coordinator at field level and MEAL coordinator at Country Office level.
· Participate in joint field monitoring, quality assessment and data validation, and provide feedbacks and recommendations for timely improvement.
· Support local communities, partners and staff on the program MEAL framework, data management, and data analysis and results‐oriented programming, monitoring and evaluation methods and principles and reporting systems.
· Lead on monitoring and improving the synergy and integration of sectors to enhance delivery of outstanding results for the communities.
· Ensure that vulnerable community members are actively participating in all Project and MEAL activities.
· Participate in all other aspects of MEAL, for example surveys, baselines, evaluations, joint projects monitoring and reviews / lessons learning workshops/events.
· Together with CRM focal person in the country office, undertake accountability activities, including the development and use of information sharing materials and the establishment of complaint response mechanisms.
· Serves as focal person for the mainstreaming and making sure that cross cutting issues are implemented and reflected in reporting such as gender, Governance and safeguarding policies/ procedures in the project activities.
· Promote learning in the project, particularly on issues of program quality. Regularly analyze data and produce reports and case studies; ensure new analysis and information is available
· Make sure the utilization of appropriate reporting templates that facilitate the acquisition and aggregation of data in sectors or develop and maintain effective database.
· Conduct post distribution monitoring after each distribution and report immediately to project manager and Area Coordinator
Protection, Safeguarding & Inclusion Functions:
· Support and ensure protection, safeguarding and inclusion is mainstreamed in all Fafan zone project activities implementation.
· Implement protection, safeguarding, inclusion and accountability activities planned in the project
· Identify training needs and build the capacity of IRE Fafan projects staff on protection, GBV, PFA, safeguarding, inclusion and CHS accountability components.
· Ensure that activities and programmes are designed and adapted to consider groups vulnerable because of their age and gender.
· Strengthen safeguarding: prevent risks of abuse and harm directly or indirectly created by IRE’s presence and coordinate the response to safeguarding cases.
· Ensure collection of lesson learned from ongoing project (in coordination with the MEAL Team) and promote learning from relevant best practices internally and externally.
· Provide continuous support on protection, safeguarding and inclusion activities, follow up and technical guidance during implementation phase, document progress /changes through regular monitoring visits.
· Ensure the effective implementation of Islamic relief GBV programing, Protection and inclusion framwork
· In accordance with IRE’s policies support orientation on complaints and feedback mechanism (accountability to affected populations), safeguarding, protection and inclusion ensure their implementation across all protection activities in all IR implementation locations
· Facilitate GBV/CP case management training, GiHA training
· Participate, influence external platforms on protection, safeguarding, inclusivity and network with them to find areas of collaboration, best practice, innovation, knowledge sharing and partnerships.
· With the support of Senior Protection Safeguarding and inclusion officer, advocate for safeguarding, child protection, PSEA and GBV issues in Fafan field office and through coordination mechanisms.
· Follow-up the inclusion of PWD and other marginalized group, the accessibility, safety and appropriateness of the program in the area office
· Prepare and submit regular relevant sections of reports required for field office, country office, donors, management, on weekly/monthly, annual basis.
· Support project manager/Area Coordinator on donor reports through review of performance/progress assessments against pre-defined project objectives, outputs, activities and indicators. And ensure data collection mechanisms are in place and disaggregated by SADDD.
· Demonstrate ethical and professional practice including respect of participant confidentiality and point of view, IRE’s Safeguarding Policies (Child Protection, PSEA, Code of conduct and other policies).
· Participate in the regional PSEA network, GBV and CP AoR, gender working group and other representation.
· Perform any other related activities given by his/her immediate supervisor
• University degree in one of the relevant areas- International Law, Human Rights, Economics or other related Social and natural Science
• Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience or Master’s degree with 2 years of relevant professional work experience in monitoring and evaluation, Protection, Safeguarding and Inclusion in NGO setting
• Training/experience in emergency response management highly desirable and one-year’ experience in issues related with inclusivity, protection and/or child protection, Gender, GBV and Monitoring and evaluation. Working in emergency or conflict situations in developing countries is an asset.
Skills and Competences
• Proven skills in project planning, design, implementation, M&E;
• Demonstrated ability in proposal and report writing skills;
• Ability to apply digital data collection and analysis tool
• Proven management and people coaching, mentoring and supervisory skills;
• Proven communication, diversity and inclusion, Integrity and working with people skills;
• Knowledge of the government current systems and policy environment specifically at Woreda level;
• Excellent oral and written communications in English language and Somali language is Mandatory.
• Demonstrated skills working in window computer programs.
• Demonstrate enhanced knowledge of inclusive programming approach to child protection, Gender and GBV issues.
• Good understanding of GBV and guidelines in preventing in humanitarian action.
• Good understanding of CHS Commitments, SPHERE, minimum standards of age and disability inclusion.
• Good understanding of minimum standards on Protection, Gender, GBV, child protection mainstreaming in programming.
• Good understanding of project monitoring and evaluation.
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is November 20, 2023.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.
· Female candidates are highly encouraged.
Disclaimers: The Islamic relief does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process thus during application, interviews processes, offer and contract.