NRC (Norwegian Refugee Council) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of WASH Coordinator in Shire, Ethiopia
- Job Title: WASH Coordinator
- Job by NRC (Norwegian Refugee Council)
Role and responsibilities
The WASH Project Coordinator is responsible for coordination of the WASH projects within the Tigray region.
- Line management of WASH Project staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures;
- Contribute to WASH strategies development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps;
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of WASH projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from AMP in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality;
- Provide regular progress reports to APM;
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities;
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills;
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders;
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- To ensure minimum standards of technical quality in all activities and interventions, which are technically appropriate, realistic, in line with project specific objectives and on budget.
- Undertake contract management and tendering processes of the diverse contractors for WASH hardware and software activities.
- Plan, coordinate and implement NRC WASH activities (Public Health Engineering, Public Health Promotion, Construction) in the Tigray Region.
- Ensure that assessment, programme design and implementation considers needs and vulnerabilities in Tigray Region.
- Ensure that WASH programme design is informed by and integrated with NRCs’ other priority sectors of ICLA, Livelihood and Food Security (LFS), Education and Protection.
- To ensure that sustainable systems are set in place for longer-term operation and maintenance of all water and sanitation infrastructure, including the provision of all necessary training.
- Prepare and oversee the implementation process to ensure timely delivery of programme activities (for example, monitoring against logframes, individual performance management workplans).
- Prepare timely financial and narrative reports on project activities in compliance with internal NRC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Ensure appropriate management and use of NRC resources at all times
- Manage project staff on a day-to-day level working with other technical departments, security, logistics, administration and senior management staff (depending on assignment).
- Ensure that NRC’s work in WASH programming is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government and represent organization at Interagency Coordination meetings.
- Contribute to learning, experiences and evidence to relevant global advocacy objectives relating to WASH through case studies and documentation.
- Degree in Water Engineering, Public Health, Civil Engineering, Public Health, Environmental Health, Hydrology;
- 5 years’ experience from working as a WASH Coordinator or similar in a humanitarian/recovery context with an INGO/ NGOs’;
- Experience in implementing integrated WASH activities (both software and hardware);
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
- Fluency in Tigrigna and English, both written and verbal.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of the operating context in Tigray region;
- Knowledge of the local languages is an advantage;
- Experience in use of design software’s like AutoCAD, ArcGIS and statistical packages;
- Knowledge and experience of the application of SPHERE and links to emergency and longer-term development practice;
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- Strategic Thinking
How to Apply
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply!